- St. Andrew’s College, The High School, Dublin;
- Reade Pianoforte School;
- Trinity College Dublin.
- English Department TCD., College Tutor. (1968-1996).
- Has broadcast and published internationally on a variety of literary, sociological and legal topics and has lectured at international scholarly gatherings in Europe, The Middle East and North America as well as Ireland.
- Organiser of 1982 Joyce Centenary Celebrations in Dublin.
- Irish editor proceedings of the International James Joyce Symposium.
- James Joyce Cultural Centre, Dublin;
- North Great Georges Street Preservation Society;
- Friends of the Library TCD.
- Patron of the TCD University Players
- Council of Europe Travelling Scholarship;
- Walter Wormser Harris Prize;
- First Foundation Scholarship in English Literature and Language;
- Gold Medal University Philosophical Society;
- Silver Medal, University Philosophical Society;
- 1st Class Moderatorship TCD;
- Nominated for European Human Rights Prize.
HON. LIFE MEMBER:
- University Philosophical Society;
- College Historical Society.
- Knights of the Campanile.
- Friends of St. Patrick’s Cathedral;
- Dublin University Central Athletics Committee, TCD Association.
- Royal Zoological Society of Ireland;
- Royal Dublin Society;
- An Taisce;
- Irish Federation of University Teachers;
- Amnesty International;
- Irish Georgian Society;
- Dublin Crisis Conference Steering Committee.